Cosmetic Dentistry » Veneers
In the present era, dental abnormalities are not uncommon. Stained, chipped, or misaligned teeth are a few such problems that can deteriorate your self-confidence and prevent you from exhibiting a smile in front of anyone.
If you are facing any such problem, then dental veneers is a great option you can consider.
You may be wondering what are veneers?
A veneer is a very fine, tooth-coloured piece of porcelain, which is bonded to the front surface of your tooth to restore any localised or generalised defect and intrinsic or extrinsic stains.
These can give you an overall natural looking and brighter smile than ever before without any complex procedural intervention.
There are multiple options available for you, ranging from instant smile veneers to secret or press on veneers, offering you a wide range to choose from.
If you are wondering, are Veneers worth it? Then the answer is a big Yes. Read further to know the intricate details of veneers for teeth.
When to choose dental veneers?
The use of veneers can correct multiple dental abnormalities. A few conditions where they are a good treatment option include-
- Extreme Tooth Discoloration- Multiple factors can contribute to dental stains/discolouration. They can be intrinsic or extrinsic stains with a plethora of underlying etiologies.
- Malformed Teeth- Overriding teeth on top of each other, diastema,improperly shaped teeth are a few conditions where veneers can be used.
- Enamel Hypoplasia- If you don't have sufficient enamel or it is worn out with time or due to ageing
- Enamel Hypo Calcification- Enamel, which is not fully mineralised, can also be corrected by the use of dental veneers.
- Fractures/Chips in Teeth- Broken, malformed, chipped teeth can all be resolved by using dental veneers.
- Short Anterior Teeth- Anterior teeth lengthening can be done by using veneers.
The material used for making veneers
The typical veneers used are made from up of porcelain.
Porcelain veneers are by far the most common type of veneers used. Other materials used for making dental veneers include ceramic, nano-ceramic, acrylic, etc. There are multiple varieties of porcelain veneers as well, such as Lithium disilicate, which is very thin and relatively strong porcelain.
Composite veneers are also being commonly used these days, which is a short procedure and can be done in a single sitting only.
Wood veneers are also coming up but are not available as of now with us because porcelain veneers are better in terms of affordability and convenience.
Types of veneer preparations
Based on the extent of the tooth involved, there are three major types of dental laminates/tooth veneers available.
- Window Preparation- This is recommended for most direct and indirect composite veneers. It is a radical alternative where functional surfaces are better preserved.
- Bevel Preparation
- Incisional Overlap Preparations- This is used when the tooth requires lengthening or when an incisional defect requires restoration.
- Snap-on Veneers/Clip-on Veneers are a type that provides you with the ease of access to veneers as they are removable veneers or temporary veneers.
Trusmile veneers, which you commonly come across, is a popular brand of veneers.
Perfect smile veneers for you are those which will give you complete satisfaction while looking at your teeth.
Procedure for getting a Dental Veneer
To know how veneers work, you must first understand the veneer's process of application.
A typical procedure for the application of dental veneer requires 2-3 visits to our dentist depending on the defect and type of veneer used. Tooth rendering can be simultaneously done for one to multiple teeth.
Diagnosis and Treatment Planning:
This is the primary step that requires active participation from your side. You need to give a detailed history of your condition and explain the results you are expecting and how you want your teeth to look finally.
Our dentist will do a pre-procedure follow up where he will take a few X-rays and do a clinical examination to determine what kind would be best for you.
Preparing the tooth is a very crucial step in dental veneer application where our dentist will shape your teeth surface nearly equal in amount to the thickness of the veneer that will be used. Then an impression of your tooth is taken and sent to the laboratory where our highly competent staff will prepare customised veneer for you.
Before fixing the veneer, your tooth will be polished, cleaned, and etched to make it more adaptable and better prepared to receive the veneer.
Our dentist will make sure that you are fully satisfied with your veneer. To achieve this, he will trim and polish it according to your need until it perfectly matches the contour of your teeth.
The shade of the veneer could be adjusted by using the cementing material, and you will get a perfectly natural-looking reconstruction.
The veneer is fixed by using a UV or laser, and when it gets hardened, you are all ready to laugh your heart out with confidence.
Advantages of Dental Veneers
- Natural-Looking: Our dentist will ensure that the structure and colour of the veneer perfectly match your tooth colour. Hence you will have an almost invisible restoration of your smile
- Tolerable: Your gum tissue can adapt to porcelain very efficiently; therefore, veneers are less likely to cause any discomfort to the soft tissues of your mouth.
- Stain-Resistant: This is a very significant point to consider when you are using dental veneers. They are resistant to most of the staining items, but still, you have to take adequate care and keep away from any tannin-containing food item which has a staining potential.
- Whitening: If the inherent tinge of your teeth is darker, then multiple veneers can be used for your teeth, which will make them look brighter and give you a complete smile makeover.
- Conservative Approach: They require the removal of only a minimal amount of enamel as they are made of very thin porcelain pieces
The longevity of dental veneers
As with every dental intervention, oral hygiene is the key. Veneers have an added advantage that they are relatively stain-resistant so that they can be used without much restrictions towards your favourite food items.
Also, it is not impervious to any grinding or breaking when excessive force is applied, making them durable and sturdy.
A few common questions that may arise here are, How long do veneers last? Are veneers permanent?
Well, they are not permanent. On average, a typical veneer lasts for 7-10 years, after which it begins to wear off and requires replacement.
It also depends on the lifestyle habits you adopt after getting veneers fixed to your teeth. The more you care for your teeth, the longer they will last.
The transformation of your teeth using veneers before and after will not fail to astound you by the enhancement of your smile's appearance.
Alternatives to Dental Veneers
There are a few conditions where dental veneers are contraindicated, such as no or minimal enamel present.
In these conditions, other alternatives can be used for your smile restoration.
These include- Cosmetic bonding and crowns.
If you wish to change the appearance of your teeth to significant amounts, then you can go for these options. They are also highly efficient and will provide you with amazing results.
How much do Veneers cost?
Dental veneers cost will vary according to the dentist you visit.
We at Wycombe are determined to provide the most affordable services. On average, the cost of veneers is from £550.
Composite Veneers cost depends on the shape of the teeth to begin with.
Veneers vs. lumineers
Lumineers is a brand of veneers that requires much less preparation of teeth for its usage and are often called "no-prep veneers."
The difference between the two is that Lumineers are more thin and translucent as compared to traditional veneers.
Veneers vs. crowns
The difference between crowns and veneers is that a crown is thicker and designed to cover your entire tooth, whereas the veneer is thinner and covers only the surface of the tooth.
Thus in a comparison of crowns vs veneers, the answer will vary depending on your tooth requirements.
If you are searching for veneers high Wycombe or if you are planning to get a veneer treatment done on your teeth/tooth, then we at Conway House have the best of the facilities and dental practitioners who are there to offer you with the best service.
Your smile appearances before and after veneers will be a positive enhancement of your personality, and we would be glad to help you with that.
Our primary aim is to give satisfaction to our patients and boost their confidence while smiling.
We have highly competent staff members who are determined to cater to all your needs in the most efficient way.
Give us the opportunity to serve your teeth by paying us a visit. We would be very happy to help.