Cosmetic Dentistry » Whitening
If stained teeth are hampering you from laughing out loud or if you are feeling embarrassed to giggle while amidst a group of people, then teeth whitening is the gold standard remedy for all your troubles.
Whitening is a process that lightens the shade of your teeth either by changing the intrinsic color or removing and controlling the extrinsic stains.
The process involved in whitening utilizes the bleaching property of certain chemicals, the longer you keep them on your teeth, the brighter and more brilliant your smile will become.
Indications of teeth Whitening
Teeth whitening is preferred by a lot of people these days for a variety of reasons, most common of them being the problem of staining.
Here are a few indications of teeth whitening -
- Intrinsic Tooth Staining: It occurs while the tooth is not fully developed, i.e, either in the embryonic period or in early childhood. A major challenge with intrinsic tooth staining is that they cannot be removed by mechanical processes.
- Aesthetics: To enhance the beauty of your teeth
- Dental Fluorosis: Fluorosis occurs due to excess fluoride content in water and is prevalent in some regions. It leads to opaque, chalky appearance, and increased porosity of the teeth enamel.
- Endodontic Treatment
- Tetracycline and Minocycline Staining: These are broad-spectrum antibiotics that lead to chelation of calcium, and it's deposition on the teeth.
Types of teeth whitening
Types of Whitening Processes
- Use of Nanoparticle Catalysts: It is a modern improvement to the field of light-accelerated whitening agents, which lowers concentrations of H2O2 with a titanium oxide nanoparticle-based catalyst.
- Internal Bleaching: It is the best teeth whitening for teeth used in patients where the nerve of the tooth has been removed through a root canal treatment.
It is a safe teeth whitening process where our dentist will prepare customised mouth trays to fit your teeth adequately.
A whitening gel is applied over the tray, and it is worn by the patient overnight or for 2 hours during the day.
It may take up to 2 weeks to yield evident results from this process.
Other modes of home whitening include the use of strips and gels, rinses and toothpaste.
Whitening Material Used For Teeth Whitening:
Hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) is the active ingredient that is most commonly used in all whitening products and is delivered either as hydrogen peroxide or carbamide peroxide.
A typical whitening gel contains between 10% and 44% carbamide peroxide, which is approximately equivalent to a 3% to 16% hydrogen peroxide concentration.
It acts as an oxidizing agent that breaks down all the free radicals, and these smaller particles attach to pigment molecules. These small molecules reflect less light creating a "whitening" effect.
Risks of teeth whitening
A common risk associated with whitening is to develop burns or damage to the soft tissues during the process.
Teeth whitening does not work on veneers, dentures, or crowns. Teeth whitening does not damage teeth,veneers,dentures,fillings or crowns.
But we assure you we will take utmost care while dealing with your teeth as patient care is our priority, and we are determined to provide you with the best dentist teeth whitening services.
Who can perform teeth whitening?
Bleaching agents used in dental whitening are not available over-the-counter to anybody. They are available only to professional teeth whitening dentists.
Only registered professional dental practitioners, dental therapists, and dental hygienists can purchase them and perform the procedure.
A few beauty salons may offer teeth whitening, but it is illegal if there is no dental professional present, and it may put your oral health at stake.
How long does teeth whitening last?
Teeth whitening is not permanent, and so you have to take good care of it and get re-treatment when it starts to fade away.
Depending on the lifestyle of the person, it may last for 5 years; however, the duration is highly variable.
Multiple methods are used to prolong the effects of teeth whitening. A few of them include:
- Brushing your teeth at least twice a day and flushing out your mouth with water after every meal.
- Removal of any plaque or bacterial buildup by regular flossing of your teeth.
- Avoiding the use of any item that may lead to stainings, such as tobacco, betel chewing, or tannin containing soft drinks or beverages.
- Prefer to use straws for drinks that have teeth staining potential.
How much does teeth whitening cost?
Professional teeth whitening costs are highly variable depending on a number of factors such as type of material used, type of treatment conducted and the original shade of your teeth.
If you have an inherent greyish tinge in your teeth, you may require frequent re-treatment elevating your cost.
The tooth whitening procedure investment is from £350.
The teeth whitening reviews provided by our patients at Conway House Dental Practice show that we are a team of highly professional dentists who aim to provide the best dental whitening services to you.
We are here to motivate, encourage, and guide you in developing healthy oral hygiene habits and also resolving all the issues related to your dental health.
Please give us the opportunity to serve you by getting your appointment booked today.