Cosmetic Dentistry » Bonding
A healthy and perfect smile can lead to a significant boost in your confidence levels. A great choice to enhance the beauty of your smile is to composite bonding.
Dental bonding is a procedure for the enhancement of smile cosmetics.
What is dental bonding?
Cosmetic bonding is a simple procedure that allows the tooth coloured resin material to bond to the original tooth, usually without any marked need to prepare/shape the tooth.
It can be carried out either for the transformation of one tooth or the entire smile.
It is referred to as "one-hour smile makeover" for the correction of all the imperfections within your teeth and give you an attractive smile.
Indications for cosmetic bonding:
- To repair decayed teeth by use of composite resins to replenish the scooped out cavities.
- To repair any chip, cracks or break in the teeth.
- To enhance the overall appearance of stained or discoloured teeth.
- To fill in the physiological gaps or spaces between the teeth known as a diastema.
- To make the teeth look longer or to reform their shape
- A cosmetically better alternative to conventional silver amalgam fillings.
- Secure the portion of a tooth's root that may be exposed when the gums receed.
The procedure of tooth bonding:
Preparation: For bonding teeth, minimal preparation is required for the procedure. Anaesthesia is usually not needed unless the decayed tooth needs to be drilled to change shape or if the chip is in proximity to a nerve.
Then our dentist will choose the composite resin colour that will be similar to your original tooth shade with the help of a shade guide.
The Bonding Process: Our dentist will slightly roughen the surface of the tooth to be bonded, followed by the application of a conditioning liquid, facilitating the adherence of bonding material to the tooth.
The chosen resin is then applied, moulded, and smoothed according to the desired or expected shape.
UV light or laser is then used to harden the material.
After it gets hardened, our dentist will give it the final touch by trimming and polishing to match the lustre of other teeth.
Time Required For The Procedure: An average bonding procedure takes 30-60 minutes. It may vary depending on the number of teeth or gaps to be bonded.
Bonding agents used in cosmetic dentistry:
Commonly used bonding agents are methacrylates such as a bisphenol A-glycidyl methacrylate (BISGMA), urethane dimethacrylate (UDMA) or semicrystalline polyceram (PEX), and an inorganic filler such as silicon dioxide (silica).Some volatile carrier and a solvent like acetone.
They may also consist of some diluent monomers.
The conditioning of dentin is done with polyacrylic acids, phosphoric acid, nitric acid, maleic acid, citric acid, ethylene diamine tetra-acetic acid (EDTA) to remove the smear layer.
The chemical process of bonding:
- Removal of smear layer and etching of dentine - It is done by partly demineralising the dentin by using a conditioning agent. The primer can percolate better in it.
- Priming of the dentine surface.
- Bonding of the primed dentine surface to the restorative material.
No special attention, as such, is required for the bonded teeth.
However, there are a few points you should keep in mind
- Maintain good oral hygiene and brush your teeth at least twice a day.
- Try to avoid any food item which may stain your teeth such as coffee, tea for at least 48 hours. Avoid smoking as long as possible.
- Avoid any action that may lead to chipping of composite material such as nail-biting, or biting any rigid objects, say for example pen caps
- Do regular mouthwash with antiseptic, at least two times per day, to avoid the buildup of any bacteria or other microbes.
- Visit our dentist for your follow up assessment.
Advantages of cosmetic bonding:
- Easy and Convenient: Dental bonding is one of the easiest and low-cost procedures of cosmetic dentistry.
- Improved Patient Compliance: Bonding is commonly completed in a single short visit because personalisation or customisation as per the individual is not required.
- Conservative Procedure: Least amount of enamel is taken out in bonding as compared to other procedures such as veneers and crowns.
- No Anaesthesia Requirement: It is a relatively simple procedure so that it can be performed without the use of any kind of anaesthesia.
The sustainability of a bonded tooth:
A question that may frequently pop up in your mind is how long does dental bonding last?
The sustainability of a bonded tooth will depend on a myriad of factors, such as the amount of bonding done and oral hygiene habits of the patient.
A typical good quality bonded tooth lasts for up to 3-10 years.
You may need to get your teeth polished once a year as the bonding material stains more readily than natural teeth.
Cosmetic bonding with teeth whitening:
The use of cosmetic teeth bonding, along with teeth whitening, can be an excellent remedy for the staining of teeth and fillings.
The rationale behind the combination of cosmetic dental bonding with whitening is to provide you with whiter and brighter teeth.
The shade of bonding resin will be chosen as per your teeth colour, so getting a pre teeth whitening will be beneficial in the long run because once the composite bond is fixed, it cannot be whitened further by any method.
Cosmetic dental bonding cost:
Just as promised, Conway house will offer you the most affordable services;dental bonding starts from £80 per tooth.
Dental bonding is one of the most affordable and low-cost procedures available for a smile makeover.
The cost of dental bonding will depend on the amount of bonding and the number of places where bonding is required.
Alternatives to cosmetic bonding:
The two most common alternatives to dental cosmetic bonding are-
- Veneers: It is a very fine tooth-coloured piece made up of porcelain that is bonded with the support of your original tooth.
Cosmetic bonding vs veneers: The difference between cosmetic teeth bonding and veneers is that veneers are custom made for the patients whereas bonding is not.
- Crowns: It is a cap in the shape of a tooth that is placed on the top of the entire visible portion of the tooth.
After knowing the trivial details of what is cosmetic bonding, now if you wish that your teeth look better than before and are planning a cosmetic dentistry bonding, and looking for 'dental bonding’ then Conway House is where your search ends.
As dentists, we firmly believe that prevention is always better than cure and will motivate, encourage and assist you in taking adequate care of your teeth so you don't develop any dental problem in the first place. If you do have decay or any dental abnormality, we are there to resolve it all for you.
Catering to the needs of our patients is our priority, and we at Conway House Dental Practice will provide you with the best and unique solutions for all your dental problems.
Ultimately you'll have healthy and happy teeth with us.
Do pay a visit for any dental procedure and give us the opportunity to serve you.